The NJT VAT Return Manager (MTD), which is scheduled for demonstration to HMRC, is a Microsoft Excel workbook that provides a quick and secure online filing of MTD compliant VAT Returns to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Details may be imported from either VT Transaction+, VT Cash Book, an Excel workbook or a CSV file.
This product contains a customised application developed in Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). The software runs automatically when the workbook is opened and interacts with the user by displaying various User Forms (Windows). The worksheets are not accessed in the traditional way and are therefore hidden from view.
Latest MTD Development News
'Making Tax Digital' (MTD) - Updated on 17th July 2018
Software Development Progress:
A demonstration of the software to HMRC has been scheduled for Tuesday, 24th July 2018.
Following a successful demonstration, a date will be agreed for two local existing customers to submit a VAT Return,
under controlled conditions, within the MTD production system.
If these controlled submissions are successful, additional businesses may be invited to join the Pilot process, subject to HMRC acceptance.
This means that the new MTD VAT Return manager software may be formally released in advance of the scheduled April 2019 implementation.
Changes to software Gateway login: Under MTD, the Gateway login process for 3rd party software will change significantly. Businesses will be required to authorise each specific commercial software product before it can be used to submit VAT Returns. HMRC has labelled the 3rd party software an 'Application Programming Interface', commonly referred to using the acronym 'API'. The new 'NJT VAT Return Manager (MTD)' will be an API. When using the API for the first time, you will need to grant authority for the software to submit VAT returns. This is achieved by clicking on a button within the software. You will then be redirected to HMRC website to log-in to your Gateway account and then prompted to grant authority. This authority will last for 18 months, however you can revoke the authority at any time via your HMRC account. 'Important Note'' Businesses must register/sign-up for MTD with HMRC before MTD compliant software can be used. Agencies must also obtain the consent of each client before VAT Returns can be submitted on behalf of the client.
Interfacing with other Accounts software: The primary objective is to develop MTD compliant VAT Return software that interfaces with VT Software bookkeeping products. However, functionality for electronically importing VAT Returns from other Accounts systems will be available. This will be achieved via (A) an NJT standard Excel worksheet layout or (B) an NJT standard formatted CSV file. This approach will allow either businesses using Excel based accounting systems or 3rd party Accounts software suppliers to transfer prepared VAT Returns into the NJT VAT Return Manager for subsequent submission to HMRC.
Product Options and Prices (For information only)
Once released, there will be 3 main product options available. The unlicensed '14-day Trial' product option is free of charge and will be available to download from this website. The 'Taxpayer' and Multiple Client licence 'AgencyXX' product options will be subject to an annual licence fee. The '14-day Trial' workbook can be upgraded to a licensed product by entering an 'Activation' Key. For further information on prices, click on the above 'Product Prices' button.
Article written by: Neil Cudbertson (Owner/Developer)
Additional Import Option 1 - VAT Return Import Excel File Specification (Provisional)
(Please Note: The following specification may be subject to change prior to formal release)
One of the main principles of Making Tax Digital is that any transfer of data must be undertaken digitally. To facilitate businesses that use Excel based Accounting systems, a function will be provided to allow preprared VAT returns to be imported via a standard Excel workbook. The pre-requisite being that businesses are able populate the worksheet as per the following example.
Workbook and Worksheet Definition:
- Workbook: The workbook can be saved as a (.XLS) or (.XLSX) format.
- Worksheet: The name of worksheet containing the VAT Return details should be set to 'MTD-VAT'. This will enable the VAT Return Manager (MTD) software to locate the required sheet. Multiple sheets may exist within the workbook.
Worksheet Cells Definition:
- Cell B1: contains the Taxpayer's Company Name
- Cell B2: contains the Taxpayer's VAT Registration Number
- Cell B3: contains the Period Start Date. Format: DD/MM/YYYY
- Cell B4: contains the Period End Date. Format: DD/MM/YYYY
- Cells B5 to B13: contain the values for Boxes 1 to 9. (Box 1 to 5 values should be formatted to 2 decimal places, Box 6 to 9 values should be formatted to 0 decimal places and Box display formatting should be removed E.G. currency symbols).
Additional Import Option 2 - VAT Return Import CSV File Specification (Provisional)
(Please Note: The following specification may be subject to change prior to formal release)
One of the main principles of Making Tax Digital is that any transfer of data must be undertaken digitally. To facilitate 3rd party Accounting systems using this software, a function will be provided to allow preprared VAT returns to be imported via a Comma Separated Variable (CSV) file. The pre-requisite being that 3rd party Accounting systems are able to generate a CSV file compliant with the following specification.
"NJT_MTD_VAT",1.0,"StdCSV",09/06/2018 09:00:00,"ABC Limited",123456789,01/01/2018,31/03/2018,500.00,100.00,600.00,750.00,150.00,155,7000,50,700,0.00
Item 1: always set to "NJT_MTD_VAT" (always enclosed in speech marks)
Item 2: contains the CSV file version number, currently 1.0
Item 3: contains the Accounts_ID, always set to "StdCSV" (always enclosed in speech marks)
Item 4: contains the Date and Time stamp. I.e. when the CSV file was generated. Format: DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS
Item 5: contains the Client's Company Name (always enclosed in speech marks)
Item 6: contains the Client's VAT Registration Number
Item 7: contains the Period Start Date. Format: DD/MM/YYYY
Item 8: contains the Period End Date. Format: DD/MM/YYYY
Items 9 to 17: contains values for Boxes 1 to 9. (Box 1 to 5 values should be formatted to 2 decimal places, Box 6 to 9 values should be formatted to 0 decimal places and all Box display formatting should be removed E.G. commas and currency symbols).
Main Features Include:
- Fully MTD compliant
- Designed for use by single Taxpayers or Agencies that manage returns for multiple Clients.
- Facility to retrieve the latest MTD VAT Return obligation for each Taxpayer/Client from HMRC.
- Facility to import VAT returns directly from the 'VT Transaction+' or 'VT Cash Book' book keeping packages.
- Facility to import VAT Returns from a pre-defined Excel workbook or CSV file.
- HMRC responses can be viewed on screen, printed or saved as PDF file.
- Facility to retrieve and save historic MTD VAT Returns from HMRC. For example, where previous MTD VAT Returns have been submitted using other software.
- Facility to retrieve and view payments and liabilities from HMRC.
- Retains a full history of submissions and receipts returned by HMRC.
- Facility to amend, delete and search for clients (Relevant mainly to Agency versions).
- For the Agency versions, an 'Obligation Manager' function is available to assist the management of returns, including clients without an obligation and a chronological list of outstanding client obligations.
- Facility to backup and restore all data. Can be used, for example, to restore data following a new product release.
Minimum System Requirements
Microsoft Windows: Windows 7 onwards. Both Windows '32-bit' and '64-bit' versions are supported.
Microsoft Excel: Excel 2007 (service pack 3) onwards. Note: only Excel '32-bit' versions are supported.
Plus a reliable internet connection.
There will be 3 product options available. The unlicensed '14-day Trial' product option is free of charge and will be available to downloaded from this website. The 'Taxpayer' and 'AgencyXX' product options are subject to an annual licence fee. The '14-day Trial' workbook can be upgraded to a licensed 'Trader or 'AgencyXX' product option by entering an 'Activation' Key.
|Product Option||Licence Period||Price||Description|
|14-Day Trial||N/A||Free||Allows use of the product for 14 days free of charge.|
|Taxpayer||1 Year||£40.00||Submit VAT returns for a single company.|
|Agency10||1 Year||£80.00||10 client licence|
|Agency25||1 Year||£120.00||25 client licence|
|Agency50||1 Year||£160.00||50 client licence|
|Agency75||1 Year||£200.00||75 client licence|
|Agency100||1 Year||£240.00||100 client licence|
|Agency150||1 Year||£320.00||150 client licence|
|Agency200||1 Year||£400.00||200 client licence|
|Agency250||1 Year||£480.00||250 client licence|
|Agency300||1 Year||£560.00||300 client licence|
|Agency350||1 Year||£640.00||350 client licence|
|Agency400||1 Year||£720.00||400 client licence|
|Agency500||1 Year||£880.00||500 client licence|
|Agency600||1 Year||£1,040.00||600 client licence|
|Agency700||1 Year||£1,200.00||700 client licence|
|Agency800||1 Year||£1,360.00||800 client licence|
|Agency900||1 Year||£1,520.00||900 client licence|
|Agency1000||1 Year||£1,680.00||1000 client licence|