How to Purchase (Businesses with Multiple VAT Accounts)
Please Note: As your business has multiple VAT Accounts, you can purchase either
a 'Business10', 'Business25', 'Business50', 'Business75' or 'Business100' software licence.
This is more cost effective than purchasing a separate 'Business' licence for each taxpayer.
The software you download is actually a single Taxpayer 'Live Evaluation' version and is upgraded to a licensed 'BusinessXX' version,
by purchasing a software licence and then entering an 'Activation' Key. This then allows you to submit VAT returns.
The global term 'Taxpayer' covers to all types of Taxpayer, including Businesses and Individuals.
Step by Step Guide
(New procedure introduced on 31 March 2019)
Try the Free 'Demonstration' Software
It is recommended that, before purchasing the 'Live' software, you first try the free Demonstration for the following reasons:
[Click here for more details]
Alternatively, just continue at the next step.
Proves that the NJT software actually works on your computer.
Proves that you can digitally import VAT Returns into the software.
Familiarises yourself with the new processes & terminology.
Download & install the 'Live' Software
Click on one of the following links to download and install the 'VAT Return Manager (MTD)'.
Then return to this page and continue at the next step.
[Click here] If you wish to install on your computer.
[Click here] If you wish to install on a Server.
Tip: To return to this page, click on the 'Left Arrow' icon on the top left of the browser.
'Live' Software Initial Setup
Note: If the software is not working as expected, re-visit the installation instructions.
- Open the 'Live' Software
- The 'Welcome' window will be displayed, then click on the 'Continue' button.
- The 'User Guide' window will be displayed, then click on the 'Close' button.
carefully then click on the 'Accept' button.
- Add your initial Taxpayer record. (Note: Set the 'HMRC Account Type' to 'Taxpayer')
- Click on the 'Save & Close' button.
Purchase your Software Licence & Activate the 'Live' Software
Select the appropriate Business licence, from the 'Software Prices' list, then email your purchase order.
For example, 'Business10' etc.
[Click here] to view the full software price list.
Email your Order to 'support@NeilsonJamesTech.co.uk'
Please include the following:
Note 1: Only One VAT Registration No. is required, which will be used as your Licence Number.
- Specify the Licence Type: Choose either Business10 or Business25 or Business50 or Business75 or Business100
- Business Name:
- Business Address:
- VAT Registration No:
- Contact Name:
- Contact Telephone No(s):
- Contact Email (if different to the email you used to place the order):
Note 2: If you require invoicing to a different Business Name and/or Address then please specify.
Ordering on behalf of clients
If you are ordering on behalf of a client and require it to be invoiced to yourself then
enter your details as above (excluding the Licence Type & VAT Registration No.) and
include your client's Licence details below:
- Client's Licence Type: Choose either Business10 or Business25 or Business50 or Business75 or Business100
- Client's Business Name:
- Client's VAT Registration No:
You will then receive an 'Order Confirmation' email containing:
Note 1: If you are unable to make an electronic Bank payment then please telephone NJT
to discuss an alternative method.
- Your Licence Number
- Your Activation Key
- Purchase Invoice, which includes the NJT Bank details to facilitate electronic payment
Note 2: To avoid this email being deposited in your 'Junk/Spam' folder, please add
'support@NeilsonJamesTech.co.uk' to your 'Safe Senders' list.
Open the 'Live' software.
- Then click the 'Purchase Licence' button on the Dashboard.
- Enter your Business Name and Licence Number.
- Select the Licence Type'. For example 'Business10'.
- Enter the Activation Key and click 'Activate'.
You can now add your remaining Taxpayer records.
Signup to MTD (via the HMRC website)
Making Tax Digital for VAT as a business: Step by Step.
Then repeat the process to signup your remaining Taxpayers.
On the HMRC website, read the instructions, then scroll down and click on the link 'Sign up for Making Tax Digital for VAT'.
Note: you will need to select 'Yes' to both questions to enable you to signup.
Before continuing the next step, please wait until you receive an email from HMRC, confirming that your MTD signup is complete.
HMRC has stated that it may take up to 3 working days to receive your confirmation.
'Live' Software (Check that your signup to MTD has completed)
For each Taxpayer record created, Grant Authority for the NJT software to send VAT Returns digitally.
- Click on the 'Grant Authority' button, then follow the instructions.
Attempt to retrieve the obligated VAT Return from HMRC.
Where the signup process has not completed, You may receive one of the following messages:
- Click on the 'Retrieve Obligation' button, then follow the instructions.
- Code 403 'CLIENT_OR_AGENT_NOT_AUTHORISED'
- Code 500 'INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR'
- No 'Open' obligations were found for the requested date range ....
'Live' Software (Import & Submit your VAT Return)
Import your VAT Return for each respective Taxpayer.
- Click on the 'Import' button, then follow the instructions.
Submit your VAT Return for each respective Taxpayer.
- Tick the 'Declaration' Box.
- Click on the 'Submit to HMRC' button, then follow the instructions.
Normal Submission Cycle
From this point forward, just follow the '3-Step' cycle.
Tip: It is recommended that, after submitting your VAT Return, you retrieve your next obligated VAT Return
in readiness for your next return.
- Retrieve the obligated VAT Return.
- Import the VAT Return Box totals.
- Submit the VAT Return to HMRC.