How to Purchase (Agents that submit on behalf of Clients)
Please Note: As you are an Agent that submits on behalf of clients, you will require an 'AgencyXX' licence.
(Where 'XX' is the maximum number of clients).
The software you download is actually a single Taxpayer 'Live Evaluation' version and is upgraded to a licensed 'AgencyXX' version,
by purchasing a software licence and then entering an 'Activation' Key. This then allows you to submit VAT returns.
The global term 'Taxpayer' covers to all types of Taxpayer, including Businesses and Individuals.
Step by Step Guide
(New procedure introduced on 31 March 2019)
Try the Free 'Demonstration' Software
It is recommended that, before purchasing the 'Live' software, you first try the free Demonstration for the following reasons:
[Click here for more details]
Alternatively, just continue at the next step.
Proves that the NJT software actually works on your computer.
Proves that you can digitally import VAT Returns into the software.
Familiarises yourself with the new processes & terminology.
Download & install the 'Live' Software
Click on one of the following links to download and install the 'VAT Return Manager (MTD)'.
Then return to this page and continue at the next step.
[Click here] If you wish to install on your computer.
[Click here] If you wish to install on a Server.
Tip: To return to this page, click on the 'Left Arrow' icon on the top left of the browser.
'Live' Software Initial Setup
Note: If the software is not working as expected, re-visit the installation instructions.
- Open the 'Live' software.
- The 'Welcome' window will be displayed, then click on the 'Continue' button.
- The 'User Guide' window will be displayed, then click on the 'Close' button.
carefully then click on the 'Accept' button.
- Add your initial Taxpayer (Client) record. (Note: Set the 'HMRC Account Type' to 'Agent')
- Click on the 'Save & Close' button.
Purchase your Software Licence & Activate the 'Live' Software
Select the appropriate Agency software licence, from the 'Software Prices' list, then email your purchase order.
For example, 'Agency25' etc.
[Click here] to view the full software price list.
Email your Order to 'support@NeilsonJamesTech.co.uk'
Please include the following:
Specify the Licence Type: AgencyXX (where XX = total No. of Clients required)
Please choose the required number from the available licences within the 'Software Prices' section.
For example, 'Agency25' etc.
- Business Name:
- Business Address:
- VAT Registration No:
- Contact Name:
- Contact Telephone No(s):
- Contact Email (if different to the email you used to place the order):
For VAT Registered Customers: Your VAT Registration Number will be used as your Licence Number.
For Customers not VAT Registered: Please specify 'Not VAT Registered' and a Licence Number
will be allocated to you.
Note : If you require invoicing to a different Business Name and/or Address then please specify.
You will then receive an 'Order Confirmation' email containing:
Note 1: If you are unable to make an electronic Bank payment then please telephone NJT
to discuss an alternative method.
- Your Licence Number
- Your Activation Key
- Purchase Invoice, which includes the NJT Bank details to facilitate electronic payment
Note 2: To avoid this email being deposited in your 'Junk/Spam' folder, please add
'support@NeilsonJamesTech.co.uk' to your 'Safe Senders' list.
Open the 'Live' software.
- Then click the 'Purchase Licence' button on the Dashboard.
- Enter your Business Name and Licence Number.
- Select the Licence Type'. For example 'Agency25'.
- Enter the Activation Key and click 'Activate'.
You can now add your remaining Taxpayer (Client) records.
Create a new MTD Agent Services Account (via the HMRC website)
[Click here] Making Tax Digital for VAT as an agent: step by step
Note 1: Follow the instructions.
Note 2: At this point you can begin the process to link your client(s).
Note 3: After linking your client(s), the next step is to individually obtain authorisation (Consent) from each client.
This is the 'point of no return' as, once authorised, the client will be signed up to MTD and can no longer
submit VAT Returns on the old system.
'Live' Software (Check that your Agent & Client signup to MTD has completed)
Using any one of the Taxpayer (Client) records created, Grant Authority for the NJT software to send VAT Returns digitally.
As you are granting authority using your Agent Services account, all consenting clients will be authorised.
Hence you only need to Grant Authority once.
- Click on the 'Grant Authority' button, then follow the instructions.
For each client, attempt to retrieve ther first obligated VAT Return from HMRC.
Important Note: Before attempting to retrieve the clients first obligated VAT Return,
please wait until you have received an email confirming your clients consent.
Where the 'Agent signup' or 'Client consent' process has not completed, You may receive one of the following messages:
- Click on the 'Retrieve Obligation' button, then follow the instructions.
- Code 403 'CLIENT_OR_AGENT_NOT_AUTHORISED'
- Code 500 'INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR'
- No 'Open' obligations were found for the requested date range ....
'Live' Software (Import & Submit your VAT Return)
Import your VAT Return for each respective Taxpayer (Client).
- Click on the 'Import' button, then follow the instructions.
Submit your VAT Return for each respective Taxpayer (Client).
- Tick the 'Declaration' Box.
- Click on the 'Submit to HMRC' button, then follow the instructions.
Normal Submission Cycle
From this point forward, just follow the '3-Step' cycle.
Tip: It is recommended that, after submitting your VAT Return, you retrieve your next obligated VAT Return
in readiness for your next return.
- Retrieve the obligated VAT Return.
- Import the VAT Return Box totals.
- Submit the VAT Return to HMRC.